Moving can be a pain, but it doesn’t have to be. Learn how to clean out your home decor items before you make your big move.
Checkout this video:
Get rid of anything you don’t need
Moving is a big undertaking, and it can be really tempting to just get rid of everything you don’t absolutely need. But before you start packing up your whole house, take a step back and really think about what you want to keep and what you can live without.
If you’re trying to downsize, getting rid of home decor items is a great place to start. Keep in mind, though, that you don’t have to get rid of everything. Just focus on the items that are taking up too much space or that you never use.
Here are a few tips for how to clean out home decor items before a big move:
1. Go through each room and make a pile of everything you want to keep and everything you want to get rid of. If you’re not sure about something, put it in the get rid of pile. You can always change your mind later.
2. Once you have your piles, go through each item in the get rid of pile and decide whether you want to sell it, donate it, or trash it.
3. If you decide to sell some of your items, research the best ways to do so (eBay, consignment shops, yard sales). For items that are in good condition but that you don’t think anyone would want to buy, consider donating them to a local charity or thrift store.
4. Finally, trash anything that is broken or that you know nobody would want (old magazines, used gift wrap, etc.).
Getting rid of home decor items before a big move can seem daunting, but if you take it one step at a time it’s not so bad. And in the end, it will be worth it when you’re not moving around a bunch of stuff you don’t need or want!
Go through each room and declutter
No one likes the feeling of being bogged down by unnecessary items, least of all when you’re in the process of moving. To that end, it’s important to declutter your home before you start packing up for a big move. But where do you even begin?
The best place to start is by going room by room and decluttering each one. This may seem like a daunting task, but it’s actually fairly simple. Here’s a step-by-step guide to decluttering your home before a move:
1. Start with the easiest room first. This will help you ease into the decluttering process and give you a sense of accomplishment when you finish.
2. Create three piles for each room: trash, donate, and keep. As you go through your belongings, decide which items fall into which category. Be ruthless in your decision-making – if you haven’t used an item in six months (or longer), chances are you won’t use it again and it can be donated or thrown away.
3. Once you’ve decluttered each room, move on to packing up the items you want to keep. Make sure to label each box with its contents and the corresponding room in your new home. This will make unpacking much easier later on.
4. Finally, take care of any remaining items that need to be dealt with before the big move – like scheduling a pick-up for donated items or disposing of trash properly.
Donate, sell, or trash items as you go
Cleaning out your home before a big move can be a daunting task, but if you take it one step at a time, you can get it done. One of the best ways to start is by going through all of your home decor items and deciding what to do with each one. Here are some tips to help you make the decision.
Donate: If you have any home decor items that you no longer want or need, consider donating them to a local charity or thrift store. This is a great way to declutter your home and help those in need.
Sell: If you have any home decor items that are in good condition, you may be able to sell them online or at a garage sale. This can help you earn some extra money for your move.
Trash: If you have any home decor items that are damaged or broken, it’s best to throw them away. This will help declutter your home and make it easier to move.
Put together a moving sale
If you’re anything like most people, you’ve probably accumulated a lot of stuff over the years. And if you’re moving to a new home, you might be wondering how to get rid of all of it.
One option is to put together a moving sale. This is where you sell all of your unwanted items in one big sale. You can do this by advertising in your local newspaper or online. You can also put up signs in your neighborhood or ask friends and family to spread the word.
Moving sales are a great way to get rid of unwanted items and make some extra money at the same time. So if you’re preparing for a big move, consider putting together a moving sale!
Pack up your belongings
It’s always difficult to know what to do with your belongings when you’re moving. Do you pack them up and take them with you? Or do you try and sell or donate them?
If you’re trying to declutter your home before a big move, here are some tips on how to clean out your home decor items:
1. First, take an inventory of all the items you have. This will help you decide what to keep and what to get rid of.
2. Next, start packing up the items you know you won’t need. These can be things that are out of season, or that you haven’t used in a while.
3. Once you’ve started packing, it will be easier to see which items are taking up too much space. If an item is too big or bulky to pack, consider selling it or donating it to charity.
4. Finally, don’t forget about the sentimental value of some items. If an item has sentimental value but isn’t practical to take with you, consider taking a photo of it or sending it to a friend or family member who will appreciate it.
Hire a professional cleaning service
The thought of packing up all your belongings and moving to a new home is daunting enough, but the actual process of moving can be even more stressful. One of the most important things you can do to prepare for a move is to declutter your home and get rid of any items you don’t need or want. This will not only make packing and unpacking easier, but it will also save you money on moving costs.
If you’re not sure where to start, the best way to declutter your home before a move is to hire a professional cleaning service. They will be able to help you identify which items you need to keep and which ones you can get rid of. They can also provide tips on how to pack your belongings so that they are protected during the move.
Unpack and settle into your new home
Big moves are always a hassle, but they can be especially tough when you’re trying to declutter your old place and get everything ready for the new one. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a deep breath and start with these tips for cleaning out your home decor before a big move.
1. Make a plan.
Start by making a list of everything you want to take with you to your new home. This will help you keep track of what needs to be packed, donated or thrown away.
2. Go room by room.
Start in one room and work your way around the house. This will help you stay organized and avoid getting bogged down in one area.
3. Donate or sell items you don’t want.
If you have any gently used items that you don’t want to take with you, consider donating them to a local charity or selling them online or at a garage sale. This will declutter your home and help someone in need at the same time!
4. Pack up what’s left.
Once you’ve gone through all of your things, it’s time to start packing! Be sure to label all of the boxes so you know where everything is when you get to your new place.
Cleaning out your home before a big move doesn’t have to be stressful — just take it one step at a time and you’ll be ready in no time!
Donate remaining items to charity
If you’re planning on doing a big clean-out before a move, chances are you’ll have a lot of items left over that you don’t want to bring with you. One option is to donate these items to charity. This is a great way to declutter your home and help those in need at the same time.
There are a few things to keep in mind when donating to charity, though. First, make sure to research different charities in your area to see which ones accept donations of home decor items. Many charities have specific guidelines for what they will and will not accept, so it’s important to check before donating.
Second, keep in mind that some charities may only accept certain types of home decor items. For example, many charities that accept donations of furniture will only take pieces that are in good condition. If you’re not sure whether or not an item is suitable for donation, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and donate it elsewhere.
Finally, remember that donations are tax-deductible, so be sure to save any receipts you receive from the charity for your records. This way, you can take a deduction on your taxes for the value of the donated items.
Recycle or dispose of packing materials
Packing materials like bubble wrap, packing peanuts, and Styrofoam can be difficult to recycle. Your best bet is to see if a local business will take them off your hands. If you can’t find a taker, dispose of them with your normal trash.
Celebrate your successful move!
After you’ve finished packing up all your belongings and dealing with the stress of relocating, it’s time to celebrate your successful move! Part of the celebration should include getting rid of all the old home decor items you no longer want or need. Here’s how to clean out your home decor before a big move:
1. Evaluate what you have. Take a good look at all your home decor items and ask yourself what you still love and what you’re ready to say goodbye to. If you’re not sure, take some time to live with your decision – you can always change your mind later!
2. Donate, sell, or trash. Once you’ve decided what you’re getting rid of, it’s time to determine how you’ll do it. If an item is still in good condition, consider donating it to a local charity or selling it online. If an item is damaged beyond repair, it’s time to say goodbye and toss it in the trash.
3. Clean up your space. Once you’ve removed all the unwanted home decor items from your space, give everything a good wipe down before packing it up for the move. This will help ensure that your new place is clean and fresh when you arrive!